Joshua 3:5

...Consecrate yourselves, for tomorrow the LORD will do amazing things among you.

Monday, July 5, 2010

Big red shiny buttons

I have big, red, shiny buttons. If you take a hard look at yourself, you have them, too. What are mine? What are some of the things that set my blood pressure on high? Here are a few:
1-everything about abortion
2-people who sniff their noses
3-political things
4-people who make fun of my favorite sports team
5-nosy people
6-fake people
7-liars
8-cheaters
9-willful children

Okay, seriously...ALL of these things make me nutso. This gives you an idea of what I mean by big, red, shiny buttons. I could give you multiple examples of times in my life where I reacted poorly to people because of these events, annoyances, or sins. Should we stand up for what God teaches us is good and right? Yes, we should! We should do so in love and with MUCH kindness. But more often than not people just aggravate us. Sometimes they like aggravating us. If your buttons are as big and shiny as mine, people tend to gravitate towards them! Here are some verses I've poured over to set my heart right towards people who just like to bother me:

Proverbs 10:19
When words are many, sin is not absent, but he who holds his tongue is wise.

Proverbs 14:29
A patient man has great understanding, but a quick-tempered man displays folly.

Proverbs 15:1
A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.

Proverbs 17:27-28
A man of knowledge uses words with restraint, and a man of understanding is even-tempered. Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent, and discerning if he holds his tongue.

Today I had someone push my big, red, shiny button and laugh out loud while he did so. What did I do? I had to leave the room so I could keep silent. God will give you the strength to keep your mouth shut. Sometimes that is all you can do. Today, I was one day better at being silent. And because of that there was peace. Was it easy? Actually, yes. I knew it was the right thing to do and it pleased God that I had nothing to say.

My challenge to you for this week:
Be one day better at keeping your mouth shut.

Fights avoided. Arguing ceased. Peace and quiet. Emotions diffused. Now that is my idea of a blessing.

2 comments:

  1. Boy, do I ever need to take this challenge. My mouth engages before my heart all too often. Thanks for the challenge. I'll do my best to be one day better at keeping my mouth SHUT!!

    Leah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Aunt Sue! This challenge is good for EVERYONE. I know I have lots of red shining buttons. I never thought about it this way though. Thank you for sharing your heart! :)

    ReplyDelete